Guideway Technician (Rail & Trackwork for Canada Line)
Guideway Technician (Rail & Trackwork for Canada Line)
Click here to get a notification every time a job like this gets added
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
Why join us?
Are you looking for a company that works on major engineering projects all over the world? Do you want to make a difference by improving the daily lives of communities worldwide? Are you seeking to join an inclusive and diverse team that you can truly count on? You’ve come to the right place!
AtkinsRéalis (Formerly SNC-Lavalin Group Inc.) provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction, and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision. AtkinsRéalis is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
ProTrans BC Operations Ltd., a subsidiary of AtkinsRéalis, is the private operator of the Canada Line, a 19-km automated rail-based rapid transit system connecting Downtown Vancouver with central Richmond and the Vancouver International Airport. Our fleet of trains provide a 26-minute terminus-to-terminus service to an average weekday ridership of more than 120,000 passengers across 16 stations. Our operations office is in Richmond, British Columbia.
The Guideway Technician is responsible for the inspection and repair of mainline track, special trackwork, switch machines, structures, power rail, drainage, walkways, fencing, mechanical equipment, pumps, and control devices to ensure a safe and reliable Canada Line operation.
This role will be based in Richmond, BC.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Inspects, maintains and repairs yard and mainline track, turnouts, expansion joints, switches, switch machines, restraining rails, traction power supply and distribution systems, propulsion rail, guideway structures, drainage, walkways and fences, and all other related systems and components.
- Identifies safety critical and high priority defects and implements slow orders and other safety measures as set out in company processes. Reports critical defects in accordance with the company reporting policy. May assist with maintaining a current perspective on the state of the various railway assets.
- Acquire and maintain an adequate level of technical proficiency in aspects of Canada Line systems and equipment, mechanical and trackwork to enable prompt response to operational issues.
- Participate in productive maintenance initiatives with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Undertakes the welding and grinding of frogs, switches, sliding rail expansion joints and running rail, and cuts, drills and prepares rail for rail plugs and installs as required.
- Implements work permits and clearances, and performs the duties of a Person in Charge (PIC) of work zone clearances, including issuing Secondary Clearances, checking power status and applying shunt straps.
- Escorts contractors, providing safety briefings, oversight and Quality Assurance inspections.
- Operates and maintains cranes and heavy rail maintenance equipment, following appropriate rules and procedures.
- Completes and enters records of inspections and completed work in compliance with standards and makes recommendations for equipment and procedural changes. Generates and updates work orders and defect reports.
- Troubleshoots issues and makes recommendations on methods to complete repairs including advising the necessary tools, equipment and estimating job duration.
- May assists with planning work including creating and reviewing Work Instructions and safety documents.
- Reviews the backlog of work and self-assigns work when extra time is available. Assists with setting priorities and flagging high priority work to management.
- Assists with equipment failures or emergencies and clearing tracks during severe weather or intrusion on the track, according to procedures.
- Provides on the job training to Guideway Service Persons and other personnel requiring further training and provides an assessment of the trainee to management.
- Maintains and inspects tooling and safety equipment. Assists with tidying and cleaning the shop and all facilities.
- When required picks stock, moves inventory and maintains accurate inventory.
- Assist with the commissioning of new and existing systems and subsystems to ensure high reliability, continuous improvement and safety of equipment and personnel.
- Participates in first line response to delays in service and assist with emergencies as required.
- Backfill the Team Lead role as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
What will you contribute?
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Minimum of four (4) years experience:
- Inspecting, maintaining, and repairing railway track and special trackwork, with a Valid Track.
- Inspection Certificate from a recognized institution.
- Welding experience with a Journeyman Welder Certification.
- Commercial Transport Mechanic or Heavy Duty Mechanic experience.
- Must be capable of working outside in all weathers.
- This position requires shift work (nights, weekends and holidays) for continuous operation based on 24/7 environment. Shifts will be awarded in accordance to the collective agreement shift bid process.
- Capable of interpreting the measurements from automated track monitoring devices and other specialized diagnostic and measurement equipment and reporting results for review.
- Valid class 5 BC driver’s license.
- A combination of education and experience may also be considered.
What we offer at AtkinsRéalis:
At AtkinsRéalis, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
Hourly Rate of Pay:
- Training Rate at Hire: $41.57 per hour
- Qualified Rate after Training: $48.90 per hour
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Created by the integration of long-standing organizations dating back to 1911, AtkinsRéalis is a world-leading professional services and project management company dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, data and technology to transform the world's infrastructure and energy systems. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital. The breadth and depth of our capabilities are delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. https://www.atkinsrealis.com/
At AtkinsRéalis, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
AtkinsRéalis cares about and is committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to AtkinsRéalis, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, AtkinsRéalis is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, technology and data to design, deliver and operate the most complex projects. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital – and delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. News and information are available at www.atkinsrealis.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Latest Articles
Meet Stuart Chambers – Veteran, Reservist and Principle Consultant in Digital Asset Management in Transportation. Stuart's role with Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is to steer comp
In an ever-evolving job landscape, leveraging your skills and experience within the right market can shape the trajectory of your career. When you find the right fit for you, you’ll be in a gre
Hi, I’m Daniele, Railway Engineer at Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group. I was born and raised in Milan, where I pursued my studies in mechanical engineering with a focus on mechanical design a
How did you get interested in water and coastal issues? I have been interested in water and coastal issues ever since I was a child. I grew up along the Puget Sound in Washington State and have experi