Open and close mobile menu


International students applying for a job in the UK

Do you need a work permit?

At AtkinsRéalis, we recognise our business is built from global talent and we actively seek a diverse workforce. We welcome all applications from all candidates, but it is essential you have the right to work in the UK. There are some restrictions to some areas of our business, so please check them on the job description before you apply.

Any employment offer made by AtkinsRéalis is contingent upon you obtaining and maintaining the right to work and reside legally in the UK. You will need to notify us immediately if there are any changes to your immigration status following your application submission.

AtkinsRéalis is an A-rated sponsor with the UK Border Agency and can sponsor Skilled Worker visas. In order for AtkinsRéalis to offer sponsorship for a Skilled Worker visa following a Student visa, you must have *successfully completed one of these qualifications:

  • A UK Bachelor's degree
  • A UK Masters degree
  • A Postgraduate Certificate in education
  • A Professional Graduate Diploma of Education
  • Completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD

*Successful completion is having received your final degree grade.

It is your responsibility to check the regulations required by the UK Border Agency. Please note that once you have completed your course, we advise you not to travel outside of the UK until you receive your Skilled Worker visa. There is a risk that the UK authorities may refuse you re-entry to the UK to study your course. If refused entry you may lose your eligibility to apply for a Skilled Worker visa. We would therefore advise you to remain in the UK between completing your studies and your start date with AtkinsRéalis.

Although we are not able to provide sponsorship for internships and fixed-term placements, if you're in full-time education in the UK under the Student visa category, current regulations may permit temporary employment during holiday periods or as part of your studies.

EU (except Ireland), EEA or Swiss nationals

From July 1st 2021 any EU (except Ireland, EEA or Swiss Nationals) can demonstrate a right to work in the UK through having received Settled, or Pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. If you do not hold this status then alternative immigration may need to be considered, for example, Skilled Worker or Graduate visa.

The new 'Graduate route' Visa

The new Graduate route opens for applications on 1 July 2021. International students must have completed an eligible course at a UK higher education provider. Students on the Graduate route will be able to work or look for work after their studies for a maximum period of 2 years, or 3 years for Doctoral students. The Graduate route will be unsponsored, meaning applicants will not need a job offer to apply for the route. The Graduate route will require a new visa application, which will only be possible from inside the UK. Please note that this route is non-extendable. However, graduates who find an appropriate job and meet the requirements may be able to apply to other visa routes, including the Skilled Worker, which is a route to settlement.

Need more information?

For further advice and guidance, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website at www.gov.uk