Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies Graduate Scheme
Transforming the future of transport
Are you ready to be part of a world-leading, inspiring and ambitious team? We’re making some exciting changes to our company brands and uniting SNC-Lavalin, Atkins, and Faithful+Gould to become AtkinsRéalis. Aligned to this we’re introducing a brand new look.
This is a journey, and it will take time to evolve, so for early careers you will still see us as Atkins for the time being. Please be reassured that this doesn’t impact any of the roles you apply for – we’re still us, just better.
Atkins, operating under AtkinsRéalis is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design, engineering and project management expertise. With us, you’ll join a team that asks questions and dares to see things differently while engineering a better future for our planet and its people.
Join our Graduate Development Programme where you'll be trusted with complex work and supported by your peers, line managers and senior leaders. We’ll give you everything you need to thrive; from plenty of opportunities in areas you’re interested in, to flexibility for work, life and study – not to mention excellent training and support to develop professionally. Join us: you'll be in great company.
Reaching your full potential means being able to bring your whole self to work and being respected for the different opinions, strengths and experience you bring. We’re not all the same, and that’s our greatest strength. Find out more about why we believe ‘Different, makes a difference’
Where you could work
The Transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highways and Rail teams into a single business of 3,000 talented professionals. You will be working within the Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST) consultancy practice alongside over 70 specialist professionals contributing to the development of future transport. The IMST team assists public sector organisations in a wide number of activities, providing ‘whole life’ consultancy in the following areas:
• Digital and Smart Roads – consultancy advice on smart motorways, digital roads, traffic detection, stopped vehicle detection, enforcement, and management of severe weather.
• Emerging Mobility – taking an end-user and outcome-focused approach to connecting people, places and services using data, technology and innovative ideas, and applying these to develop Digital Demand Responsive Transport (DDRT), Mobility as a Service (MaaS), electric vehicle solutions and data strategies.
• Intelligent Transport Operations – advice on transport operations, including the intelligent management of traffic, road charging, enforcement of roads, bridges, tunnels, city cordons and HGV/Truck monitoring.
• Safety, Behaviours and Research – applying a blend of behavioural science, social science, human centred design, operational knowledge and safety risk expertise to shape future transport strategies and operations.
• Transport Technology Advisory – consultancy advice on traffic signals and control systems, transport data analytics, public transport technology and smart ticketing.
Locations: Birmingham, Bristol, Epsom, London, Manchester.
Join us as a Graduate in our IMST practice and be part of something big! We have a growing range of clients, and we need many different skills and capabilities to deliver projects. We are looking for diverse graduates with an interest in transport and technology who aspire to become a Consultant on a wide variety of projects. You will work as part of a team and demonstrate willingness to learn and develop professionally.
Across the technical areas listed above, you will contribute to the following outputs. In doing so, you will learn the process of delivering consultancy from end to end:
• Requirements capture, business case and new business models development
• Feasibility and scoping studies
• Research, policy and strategy studies
• Stakeholder consultation and user research
• Data analysis and evaluation
• Evidence-based recommendations and client presentations
• Work bidding and project management
As part of the delivery of consultancy projects, you may use the following skills:
• Data gathering and research
• Data processing and analysis using software such as Microsoft Excel and GIS packages
• Report writing, for both technical and non-technical audiences
• General consultancy skills, such as stakeholder engagement, workshop facilitation, focus group moderation, and recommendation development
• Technical consultancy and assurance skills
Degree Requirements: On track to achieve or have achieved a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (minimum 2.2).
We are keen to hear from people with a wide variety of academic backgrounds, including but not limited to:
Analytics, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Data Management, Data Science, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Human Factors, Information & data, Mathematics, Operational Research, Physics, Science, Social Sciences, Statistics, Systems Engineering, Transport Economics, Transport Management, Transport Planning, Transport Studies
What you can bring
• A passion for working in a consultancy environment
• Embracing equality, diversity and inclusion in everything you do
• A desire to work collaboratively with a curious approach, challenging yourself to find new solutions
• Enthusiasm and drive to develop your skillset and seek out development opportunities within a supportive team
• Motivation to achieve professional accreditation (where applicable)
• Comfortable to embrace agile ways of working and learning new technologies.
Training and development
Our graduate programme has been designed to give you an insight into a wide variety of areas of work and the chance to explore where your own skills and interests lie.
Featuring a series of training events and modules, professional development, mentoring and on-the-job experience as well as practical skills development, you’ll work on real projects from day one, that offer scale and variety, collaborating with others and creating meaningful impact on the world around us. You’ll work towards your professional accreditation where applicable; so whichever path you take, your future starts here.
Meeting your needs
As well as ensuring you’re rewarded for your efforts, we also have a variety of initiatives to support you:
• A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join and a further payment of £2,500 when you achieve chartered status or reach an equivalent stage in your professional development
• 33 days annual leave, including bank holidays, with the option to buy an additional 15 days or sell up to 5 days
• Flexible working arrangements
• Two paid annual volunteer days
• Join any of our employee networks for social interaction, peer support and personal development
• Opportunities to further develop yourself by applying to various company-wide development programmes
• An enhanced maternity scheme and family friendly policies
• Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) providing you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life matters
• Life #InsideAtkins - join hundreds of talented graduates, with opportunities from skill-building to social events, charity challenges, Young Professional Awards, social clubs, and exciting secondments.
To view all available benefits, visit our Total Rewards portal.
How do I apply?
Click "Apply" below to start your application.
Do also check out our Connectr platform for tips and advice on applying. You can message your questions directly to one of our graduate mentors.
We’re a Disability Confident Employer, and can make adjustments to support you to perform at your best during the recruitment process. Please contact us confidentially at email@example.com to find out how we can support you.
Our deadline for applications is Monday 4th December 2023. Our programmes are incredibly popular, so apply early as some roles may close sooner.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy. From designing end-to-end project solutions to pioneering new technologies and ways of working, everything we do supports our goal of delivering outstanding project outcomes for our clients, while engineering a better future for our planet and its people – no matter the scale, complexity or location of their project. Learn more.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins are an A rated sponsor, if you have any queries regarding sponsorship, please visit our International Student careers page.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs