Open and close mobile menu


Insights Can the US be solely powered by clean energy?

Clean energy is a major emerging industry in the United States, with approximately 20% of the country’s energy currently coming from renewable sources. That figure is expected to increase rapidly, with experts predicting that the country could mainly run on clean energy by 2050.

That said, for the US to hit the Biden Administration’s goal of a carbon-free energy sector by 2035, the entire industry needs to speed up. So, can the US be solely powered by clean energy by then – or ever?

Experts at Stanford University say yes, it can. They have shown that implementing a 100% renewable energy grid by 2050 is doable. Even better, it won’t take blackouts or a dramatic shift in how Americans live, and it may even be cheaper than the current electrical grid. There is progress to make, and Atkins is here to help it happen.

Alongside the other members of the AtkinsRéalis Group, Atkins is a vocal proponent of green energy, and we believe in building sustainably both in America and on projects around the world. As a result, we’re always seeking dedicated professionals who are committed to the same goals.

If you are passionate about making a difference in your career and want to work for a company that will support you on this journey, read ahead to learn more.

person in orange jumpsuit and hard hat checking equipment at solar farm

The unique opportunities for clean energy careers in the US

After the Democrats passed the recent climate and tax bill, The Inflation Reduction Act, in August 2022, there are more clean energy career opportunities in the US than ever before. Not only will these efforts lower the country’s carbon footprint, but they will also boost the US economy and create millions of clean power jobs in every state.

To meet the conditions set out by the bill, which promises to cut carbon emissions in the country by 40% by 2030, as well as the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, the government will require a lot more workers. Skilled professionals will be tasked with refurbishing existing factories, building new projects, designing and implementing energy infrastructure, and filling the demand for solar panels, wind turbines, and batteries.

Companies will benefit from clean energy tax credits and grants that they can use to train new employees and hire for exciting renewable energy careers. As a result, there are millions of opportunities for motivated professionals.

The limitations and challenges if the US switches fully to clean energy

Of course, any significant change in America’s economy is going to encounter limitations and challenges – but these challenges can be overcome. For instance, while most Americans support the shift to clean energy, only 31% support completely phasing fossil fuels out of the economy. Providing education and reliable clean energy solutions may overcome this limitation.

It may come as a surprise that fossil fuels only make up 65% of global greenhouse gas emissions, while the remaining 35% comes mainly from agriculture and deforestation. We must also consider these pollution sources and not solely focus on clean energy as the only solution. While it is the most important step forward, clean energy should be just one aspect of a broader greenhouse emissions strategy.

Clean energy careers and sustainable growth are essential to Atkins

Atkins has been at the forefront of clean energy and sustainable growth in engineering for decades. As a globally renowned company in the vanguard of the clean energy industry, they have the power to make a difference in America and beyond. In addition to environmental stewardship, Atkins is dedicated to Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I), including hiring Indigenous Americans, and thrives on a high-performance culture.

If you’re interested in growing your career or just starting out, now is the time to browse clean power jobs at Atkins. Start by learning more about clean power at Atkins, explore renewable energy jobs, or sign up for the talent community for more opportunities.