How Digital Twin Technology is being used in Engineering and Construction
What is digital twin technology?
A digital twin, also known as a virtual twin, is a virtual model designed to accurately mimic an object to incredible detail.
The physical object being modelled is equipped with a range of sensors that scan crucial areas of functionality. The digital twin can factor in the behavior and processes involved in construction, all the way down to the components and materials used. The data is then relayed to a processing system and applied to the digital copy.
At SNC-Lavalin, we design end-to-end project solutions with pioneering new technologies and ways of working. Digital Twin technology is one of the ways we support our goal of delivering outstanding project outcomes for our clients – no matter the scale, complexity or location of the project.
What are the types of digital twin technology?
Digital twin technology can be categorized into different types based on its characteristics, benefits, and the purpose of their application.
- Process - this type of digital twin replicates the entire operational processes, including workflows, product lines, and supply chain activities. This helps to identify bottlenecks and opportunities for improvement.
- System - this type of digital twin represents more complex and larger systems such as a city’s infrastructure. This allows professionals to get more of a holistic view of large-scale projects.
- Asset - this type of digital twin replicates physical assets within a larger system, such as a building in a smart city. This offers insights into the maintenance requirements of the asset.
- Component - this type of digital twin replicates individual components within a larger system, such as motors or sensors. This offers real-time insights into the behavior and performance of the component.
These cutting-edge digital solutions offer increased predictability and certainty, maximize whole-life asset value, improve commercial performance, achieve sustainability goals and help reduce our environmental impact.
What are the benefits and applications of digital twin technology in construction?
Digital twin technologies have revolutionized the way that the construction industry manages, plans, and executes projects. This technology has enhanced efficiency, reduced risks, and improved project outcomes across various stages of the construction lifecycle.
Here are some of the key benefits and applications of digital twin technology in the construction industry:
- Improves communication and understanding between stakeholders - digital twins provide a realistic representation of the project which makes it easier to communicate design and construction plans and reduce misunderstandings and errors.
- Identification of issues - digital twins allow you to identify potential problems and be proactive in finding solutions which reduce the likelihood of costly mistakes in the construction process.
- Real-time monitoring - digital twins have real-time monitoring capabilities which allow project managers to make informed decisions promptly and address issues as they arise.
- Sustainable solutions - digital twins can analyze the energy performance of buildings and infrastructure, enabling the design and implementation of energy-efficient solutions to reduce environmental impact.
We believe that sustainability is a way of working . This is why we strive to reduce the impact that our activities have on the environment, society and economy, on a global and local scale, in all of our projects.
Be at the forefront of cutting-edge construction technology
Are you ready to be a part of a team that is revolutionizing how we approach engineering and construction?
Working at SNC-Lavalin is an exciting opportunity to transform outcomes. You will have access to the latest and greatest in construction technology including Digital Twins and more.
Engineer a better future for our planet and explore career opportunities in the Middle East.
What skills are needed for construction? The United Arab Emirates (UAE) construction market size was valued at $86.7 billion in 2022 and is expected to achieve an AAGR of more than 3% from 2024 to 20
Over the past 50 years, we’ve helped shape cutting-edge ideas in Saudi Arabia; from large infrastructure projects to mixed-use masterplan developments. King Abdullah Financial District, Riyadh Metro
What is urban planning? Urban planning is the term used to describe the design and development of towns and cities. The concept of urban planning is becoming increasingly prevalent around th
What does a water engineer do? Water engineers are responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining water systems and infrastructure. This role is essential in ensuring that communiti
Recently viewed jobs