Click here to get a notification every time a job like this gets added
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
SNC-Lavalin is one of Canada's largest private sector nuclear engineering groups. We have been providing a wide range of services to the nuclear industry in Canada and around the world since for more than 60 years. We are proud to be the steward of Canadian CANDU nuclear technology and to apply our extensive knowledge to service the BWR/PWR market.
Our expertise includes: Nuclear Steam Plant (NSP) engineering, Balance of Plant (BOP) engineering, Plant Life Management and Extension, Retube Tooling Systems, Inspection and Maintenance Services, Steam Generator Replacement, Plant Equipment Refurbishment and Retrofits.
How will you contribute to the team?
• Provide engineering design and modifications for all safety or non-safety related electrical systems and equipment for both Bruce A and Bruce B stations following BP procedures (e.g., BP-PRO-00539, etc.);
• Support BP life extension program;
• Support BP routine operation/maintenance services based on the request;
• Support BP planned or unplanned outages; and
• Provide necessary engineering field services and supports during construction and installation, procurement, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.
• Perform engineering work following SNC-Lavalin/Candu Energy QA programs, and applicable codes, standards, and regulation requirements;
• Coordinate and interface with client, suppliers, stakeholders and other design disciplines or department to execute assigned engineering work;
• Perform conceptual, preliminary and/or detailed design for the modification of electrical systems, including but not limited to Class I, II, II and IV Electrical distribution systems for the plant, electrical systems for ancillary building and facilities and electrical equipment such as motors, standby generators, main generators, uninterruptible power supplies, switchgear and MCCs, wiring and cabling, cable trays and conduits, lighting, grounding and lightning protection, containment penetrations, protective relays and associated cabinets including Main Control Room (MCR) panel changes and connection hardware, etc.;
• Prepare system and equipment level design modifications, sizing of power cables and electrical equipment to meet the requirements of the associated loads, specification of grounding arrangements, specification and layout design of electrical panels and switchgear and of the various types of electrical equipment to meet environmental qualification and seismic requirements as well as functional and performance requirements, selection of appropriate wiring and cabling types for various applications, cable tray design, routing of wiring and cabling, and electrical power system analysis using ETAP as necessary to support the various aspects of the design work;
• Perform complex engineering tasks with efficiency and accuracy;
• Prepare Design Change Package (DCP) and Design Change Notice (DCN) packages following BP procedures;
• Develop technical documents, such as: engineering drawings, change paper markups, ETAP studies, calculations, design/analysis reports, design requirements, design manuals, bill of materials, technical specifications, load lists, commissioning specifications, etc.;
• Interface with the regulatory bodies, such as: ESA and CNSC, if required;
• Be capable to prepare requisitions or Engineering Quotation Requests (EQR) for equipment and materials to support procurement;
• Perform technical bid evaluations
• Perform post-order engineering (review supplier technical documents for compliance with the technical requirements);
• Provide technical guidance and instruction to Designers/Drafters, or Junior Engineers if required;
• Perform field walk-downs during different design phases as required;
• Support field construction and execution activities, such as: field changes, design revisions, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.;
• Provide prompt response and engineering resolutions on any critical electrical related matters; and
• Complete the assigned scopes or tasks within given budget and schedule, and in good quality.
What will you contribute?
• Engineering Degree in electrical from an accredited university or equivalent degree as recognized by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO);
• Registered as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario;
• Minimum 2 years of related work experience in electrical power distribution system and equipment within a heavy industrial environment such as: mining, oil & gas, power, etc.;
• General knowledge of CANDU nuclear electrical systems and associated equipment;
• Knowledge of the precedents and underlying principles and practices of CANDU electrical system and electrical equipment engineering;
• Working knowledge of IEEE, CSA and other applicable industry codes and standards, the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, and applicable CNSC regulatory and consultative documents;
• Working knowledge of operator interface requirements for electrical systems and system and equipment environmental qualification requirements as applied to the nuclear field;
• Design engineering experience in electrical systems for Nuclear Power Plants (especially Bruce Power) is preferable;
• Understanding of or experience with BP risk based Engineering Change Control (ECC) modification process is preferable.
• Full qualification as a BP Assigned Designer (ADE) is an asset;
• Must have excellent technical and practical skills to resolve engineering issues or technical problems;
• Must have excellent communication and technical writing skills;
• Demonstrate ability to interact effectively with client’s counterparts;
• Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
• Site experience in construction, or commissioning of plant electrical systems and equipment for nuclear or other heavy industries would be an asset;
• Must be capable of working independently with limited supervision, yet be an active team member supporting the project team; and
• Willing to become a Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW).
This position requires an experienced individual who is a self-starter and capable of working independently or under the instruction from a senior technical engineer to perform electrical system calculations and analysis, provide engineering design or modification of electrical systems and equipment on various projects, and develop necessary engineering design documentation as required.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, technology and data to design, deliver and operate the most complex projects. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital – and delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. News and information are available at snclavalin.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Latest Articles
As we confront a global energy crisis and the urgency of climate change, nuclear power emerges as a vital component of the solution. If you’re on a career journey breaking into the nuclear fie
In an era defined by environmental consciousness and responsible business practices, sustainability has emerged as a critical aspect for businesses across the globe. How exactly can we empower busine
If you're anything like Senior EC&I Engineer Alessandro Del Brenna, being constantly inspired and challenged is something you crave at work. He said, "Working at Atkins, a member of the SNC-La
Building careers and cultivating talents: a look into Atkins Nuclear & Power. Hi! My name is Laura Barlow, and I'm an Assistant Engineer at Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group. I joine