Freshwater Ecologists (Water Management Consultancy) - Flexible around location
Freshwater Ecologists (Water Management Consultancy) - Flexible around location
Click here to get a notification every time a job like this gets added
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Freshwater Ecologists (Water Management Consultancy)
Do you have the drive, skills and career potential to work with us as a freshwater ecologist, influencing environmental outcomes for our freshwater systems at the project level and beyond? We are now seeking to expand our team of freshwater ecologists within Atkins’ Water Management Consultancy. So, if you are looking to join an established team focused on the delivery of interesting and significant projects, framed by a strong culture of wellbeing, innovation and inclusivity, this is the place for you.
We are seeking freshwater ecologists at a range of levels, based preferably in our Glasgow or Edinburgh office, other offices considered e.g. Warrington, Derby, Peterborough, Birmingham office.
Our Water Management Consultancy operates at the interface between people and the water environment. Our key services cover all aspects of water management including aquatic ecology, hydromorphology, river restoration, flood and coastal erosion risk management, integrated catchment management, regulation and assurance, strategic asset management, water resources and water quality planning, hydrogeology and hydrology, climate futures and resilience, coastal and marine environmental management, natural capital assessment and economic appraisal.
As an aquatic ecologist, focused on freshwater habitats and species, you can expect to deliver river and wetland environmental assessments and support the restoration and enhancement our aquatic systems and see your work produce tangible improvements within river catchments throughout the UK and overseas. The dynamic and influential relationship between our aquatic ecology team, water resource specialists and our engineering design and planning colleagues provide exceptional opportunities for you to develop your career.
We understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support homeworking, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
You will have the chance to develop opportunities and support projects through our increasing portfolio of UK water resource investigation and international work, alongside our staff in Canada, USA, India, Africa and Asia Pacific. As a major engineering, environmental and design consultancy, Atkins offers opportunities for talented consultants to work on a wide variety of high-profile projects.
At Atkins we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
- A degree in a relevant discipline with a strong focus on freshwater ecology.
- Keen understanding of aquatic ecology assessment procedures and relevant UK and EU nature conservation legislation.
- Experience of undertaking river and wetland habitat/ecological walkover and species surveys.
- Numerate, literate and familiar with IT and software appropriate to the tasks undertaken.
- A full UK driver’s license and availability for travel across the UK and occasionally overseas would be an advantage.
- A relevant post-graduate degree.
- Experience of undertaking Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and/or hydro-ecological investigation.
- Working knowledge of the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and the tools used in the assessment of ecological status.
- Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. CIEEM, CIWEM) working towards Chartership.
- Experience of:
- project co-ordination and fieldwork management;
- management of budgets; and
- stakeholder liaison.
The role involves, but is not limited to:
- Providing support to the national aquatic ecology team.
- Undertaking technical reporting for a wide range of projects.
- Co-ordinating ecological inputs to projects.
- Assisting on ecological field surveys and Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA).
- Maintaining excellent relationships with other professionals (environmental scientists, engineers, planning consultants) throughout Atkins to provide a consistent and integrated service to clients.
- Supporting the team with winning work from internal and external clients.
- Developing your technical skills through Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Managing your own time and workload in collaboration with other team members.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focussed on achieving and delivering technical excellence.
- Skilled at collaborative working, with good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Development plans are reviewed with individuals throughout the year putting you in the driving seat. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with CIEEM, IEMA, CIWEM or others, we support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions, this includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt into a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, childcare vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
“This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles
Do you have a gift for managing the technical and financial aspects of large projects? Often get told you have strong leadership and people skills? Or perhaps you’re looking for a career change, wher
Atkins is now in Mumbai and we are looking for talented professionals who want to learn, thrive, and grow their engineering careers with us. As one of the world’s most respected design, enginee
Nestled between Aberdeen Island and the southern coast of Hong Kong Island, a beautiful and vibrant city – Hong Kong is known to be one of the most developed cities in the world. Being a city
At Atkins India, our core beliefs lie in empowering and unleashing the full potential of our team members, enabling them to create a tangible impact and contribute towards building a brighter f