Highway Engineering Project Director
Highway Engineering Project Director
Click here to get a notification every time a job like this gets added
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Atlanta, GA team as a Highway Engineering Project Director supporting the Georgia State Road and Tollway Authority (SRTA) General Engineering Consultant (GEC) Program, working as an “extension of staff” in the client’s offices in downtown Atlanta.
The ideal candidate will have a background in the Toll industry (GEC or Program Management) as a traditional project manager for a DOT-type highway projects in design or construction, experience in capital project procurement / development, and lifecycle management of projects. A broad base of skills, capability and experience in management, engineering, administration and communicating is desired, as well as the willingness to be a team player. Experience in a Tolls GEC or DOT program is preferred but not required.
Leads, manages and supports the application of state-of-art Toll and ITS system technologies and Toll operations principles to programs and projects. Projects typically involve high levels of regulatory agency involvement and/or complex technical requirements.
Typical projects might include support for procurement, specification development, implementation oversight, construction coordination, design-build or design-build-operate-maintain undertakings, toll operational/civil, toll systems, and toll facilities. Managing the evaluation of alternative approaches and technology capabilities to meet client goals and objectives, leveraging previous experience with Toll system and operational deployments, cost benefits, and client/regulatory agency specifications; recommending cost-effective solutions.
Under general direction, manages complex technology or delivery systems in a multi-consultant environment supporting a state tolling agency as an extension of staff. Carries out job functions within project-oriented multidisciplinary teams of Toll and Transportation professionals and directs interaction with clients and key stakeholders within the context of project progress meetings, design reviews, operations, and project production and deployment.
Coordinates and participates in the preparation of the Request for Proposal documents developed by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) for the solicitation of civil contractors to construct the express lane facilities, and deliver the infrastructure required to support tolling operations. Coordinates and works with GDOT and SRTA staff to support operations from the conceptual operations phase, design, construction, implementation, to ongoing operations and maintenance.
Provides leadership, direction, and technical guidance to project managers and technical staff within assigned area of responsibility to ensure that quality management and technical services are provided to clients. Mentors technical staff.
Knowledge of GDOT and SRTA policies, procedures and standards is desirable but not required.
- Project Production and Management:
- Assists project staff in developing work plans; reviews and approves schedules, budgets, project milestone dates, and work products.
- Oversees financial performance of projects; Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project.
- Reviews QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits.
- Identifies additional client needs for staff and pursues Atkins staff recommendations to grow the Client support team. Secures resource support from other Atkins operating units.
- Internal Staff Administration:
- Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing.
- Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with project staff within assigned projects.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and project objectives / needs.
- Marketing and Customer Relations:
- Maintains visibility and professional courtesy by actively participating in civic and professional organizations and encourages project staff to do the same.
- Maintains regional prominence and recognition through published technical work and/or presentation of papers at national or regional technical conferences.
- Contracts and Financial:
- Conducts contract negotiations with clients and sub-consultants.
- Develops operational budgets, performs project financial management and monitors performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree in Civil Engineering. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- General Engineering Consultant (GEC) experience is a plus.
- GDOT Design-Build experience is also a plus.
- Experience in a Tolls GEC or DOT program is preferred but not required.
- Excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills; good public speaking ability.
- Detailed understanding of the practical design and deployment of a wide range of information, communication, and toll operations technologies.
- Strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills; organizational and time management skills.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) registration preferred, if registered in another state the ability to obtain registration in the state of Georgia.
- “Project Management Professional” (PMP) certification is a plus.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles
Do you have a gift for managing the technical and financial aspects of large projects? Often get told you have strong leadership and people skills? Or perhaps you’re looking for a career change, wher
Meet Stuart Chambers – Veteran, Reservist and Principle Consultant in Digital Asset Management in Transportation. Stuart's role with Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is to steer comp
Atkins is now in Mumbai and we are looking for talented professionals who want to learn, thrive, and grow their engineering careers with us. As one of the world’s most respected design, enginee
Nestled between Aberdeen Island and the southern coast of Hong Kong Island, a beautiful and vibrant city – Hong Kong is known to be one of the most developed cities in the world. Being a city