Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Click here to get a notification every time a job like this gets added
Great news! We will let you know when a new job like this has been added!
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Atkins Ireland is a member of SNC-Lavalin, one of the world’s leading providers of engineering professional consulting and support services with offices across Ireland.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Senior Geotechnical Engineer with 10 or more years’ relevant experience to join our geotechnical department in delivering complex geotechnical design solutions as part of our overall multidisciplinary team on infrastructure projects such as rail, highways, structures & water.
As one of Ireland’s leading geotechnical consultancies, Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence, and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
The successful candidate will work directly with all members of the geotechnical team across Ireland and shall be based in either the Dublin, Dundalk, Cork or Galway office, with the option to work remotely within Ireland in a hybrid work environment dependant on internet speed and connectivity.
Role Description and Duties:
- Project management and client liaison.
- Supervision and mentoring of geotechnical engineers/engineering geologists.
- Delivery of geotechnical design packages incl. earthworks, slope stability, shallow and deep foundations and retaining walls.
- Planning and procurement of ground investigation contracts for major infrastructure and commercial development projects.
- Advising and supporting our various design teams through the provision of specialist geotechnical design input.
- Designing earthworks and foundations to Eurocode 7.
- Preparing earthworks designs to Eurocode 7, including production of earthworks specifications and design drawings.
- Preparation of reports in accordance with DN-ERW-03083.
- Pavement foundation design in accordance with TII / UK DMRB.
- Design of ground improvement techniques for soft ground, including surcharge, vertical drains, piled embankments, and lime/concrete subgrade stabilisation.
- Check/review of reports, drawings and calculations.
- Preparation of Designer’s and Geotechnical Risk Registers and assessments.
- Tender preparation and business development.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience of Geotechnical design, including major road, rail and civil projects.
- Experience working in Irish/UK glacial till soils desirable, but not essential.
- A Level 8 Honours Degree in Civil / Geotechnical Engineering or related field.
- Chartered status CEng, MICE or equivalent.
- Proven experience of working in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment.
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management.
- Geotechnical design experience and strong numerical/analytical capabilities.
- Knowledge of soft ground techniques and soil reinforcement, piling and retaining walls.
- Construction experience in earthworks, soil improvement and deep foundations desirable, but not essential.
- Fully experienced in design to Eurocode 7.
- Experience in general numerical software such as GeoStudio, Holebase/Openground, Wallap etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients.
- Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful projects.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within Ireland and overseas.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- A valid full clean driver’s license.
The position also includes the following benefits -
- Attractive salary.
- Professional membership cover.
- Comprehensive pension benefits.
- Accident and illness cover.
- CPD Training & Education.
- Flexible working hours to provide a better work/life balance.
At Atkins we put Sustainability at the heart of our business strategy. We possess a significant breadth of knowledge and depth of skills and experience for the ultimate benefit of our clients. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas. Together with our clients, we’re always striving to find better ways to get things done. We are a certified CPD Accredited employer with Engineers Ireland and we were named Engineers Ireland CPD Employer of the year in 2021.
Our Latest Articles
Do you have a gift for managing the technical and financial aspects of large projects? Often get told you have strong leadership and people skills? Or perhaps you’re looking for a career change, wher
Our Environment & Geoscience teams aren’t just using technology and expertise to meet our clients’ visions – they’re preserving the future of our planet! Whether providing solutions to protect
Meet Stuart Chambers – Veteran, Reservist and Principle Consultant in Digital Asset Management in Transportation. Stuart's role with AtkinsRéalis, is to steer complex, multi-stakeholder progra
Atkins is now in Mumbai and we are looking for talented professionals who want to learn, thrive, and grow their engineering careers with us. As one of the world’s most respected design, enginee